One question I get asked frequently and that I see people asking online is how do I use Assimil? Well If you open the book up on the insert of the cover there is a section explaining how to use your Assimil course, however, I find a lot of people tend to find these instructions not detailed enough, and the explanation that is given by Assimil for the passive and active phases confusing. An older Assimil Dutch course actually has more in-depth instructions on how to use the Assimil Method, lets’s go over them.
Firstly we’ll cover the passive phase.
1. Listen to the dialogue with the book closed. It doesn’t matter if you don’t understand what is being said in the dialogue. This is for you simply to absorb the language and hear the foreign sounds without being influenced by how the words are spelt.
2. Listen to the recording a second time while looking at the translation (L1), or whatever base language you’re using to learn the target language.
3. Read the target language text aloud.
4. Read the target language text again, this time without looking at the translation.
5. Listen to the recording twice, once while looking at the English translation (L1) and once while looking at the target language text.
6. Listen to the recording again with the book closed. At this point, you should understand what is being said.
7. Listen to the recording once more. Pause the audio after each sentence, and try to repeat it aloud.
8. Carefully read the comments several times. Examine the notes and examine the sentences being explained.
9. Read / Repeat the exercises, complete them and check your answer with the answer key.